Our kidneys filter waste products from our blood and turn them into urine. A few signs your kidneys may not be working at optimum level are:
- Dark circles under your eyes
- Retained fluid
- Urinary Tract Infections
Kidney stones form when waste products in the blood crystalise and become deposited in the kidneys or the ureter (the tube connecting the kidneys to the bladder). They can often be passed out through urination and although this can be extremely painful, it does prevent surgery.
If left untreated, kidney stones can cause UTI’s and other problems so if you are in severe pain, if you have a very high temperature or if you see blood in your urine, you should go to a doctor or a professional homeopath.
Some ways to treat or prevent kidney stones:
- Drink Plenty of Water. It sounds so simple, but this is very important and can prevent this happening in the first place as well as assisting your body in dissolving the stones that may have formed. Avoid sugary or artificially sweetened drinks and fizzy drinks – stick to water, fruit juices or natural teas if possible. Sliced lemon in water is excellent. 3L of water every day is the recommendation to prevent kidney stones.
- Cut back on Salt – which includes reducing your intake of packaged or processed foods which contain a lot of salt.
- Increase your Magnesium intake. This helps prevent kidney stones forming. Take a good quality supplement or increase magnesium rich foods such as avocados, nuts, lentils, beans, chickpeas, peas, soybeans, bananas, and seeds, such as flaxseeds, pumpkin and chia seeds.
- Increase your Citric Acid intake. Citric also helps prevent the formation of stones so eat citrus fruits such as oranges, lemons and limes. Apple Cider Vinegar also contains citrus so a small amount of this each day is very beneficial.
- Increase Vitamin B6. This has been found to reduce the risk of kidney stones and is naturally found in bananas, avocados, oatmeal and mangoes.
- Reduce your meat intake. A high level of uric acid is often caused by over-consumption of meat.
Doing some reflexology on your kidney point will stimulate the kidneys and help them work properly. If you have a kidney problem it will feel sore when you find the right spot on your feet. It is very important to put pressure on at the kidney point first and take the pressure down the urethra line into the bladder – this will help the kidneys to clear anything out in the right direction. Should you do it the opposite way it will drive any infection or problem from the bladder deep into the kidneys.
8. Essential oils such as Lime, Lemon, Holy Basil, Juniper or Sage can be applied topically around the kidney area.
Homeopathy for Kidney Stones
Kidney stones can be extremely painful. These remedies can help a lot, but constitutional homeopathic care with a homeopath, or conventional care with a doctor is often needed once the pain is severe. Consider these remedies for help in easing the symptoms:
- Berberis-vulgaris. Our number one kidney support remedy. You may feel tired and chilly and experience severe stitching, sticking pains.
- Cantharis. This is characterised by a burning sensation or burning pains and an urgency to urinate which may then be passed in dribbles.
- Nux-vomica. This person is chilly and irritable and has no time for sickness! They may experience a right sided stabbing pain towards their genitals. Nausea, vomiting or an urge to move their bowels may accompany the pain.
Homeopathic Treatment with a homeopath can cure and prevent Kidney problems. Get in touch with me to discuss how homeopathy could help you.